Last Updated on Wednesday, 11 July 2012 12:05 Saturday, 16 August 2008 14:27Edmonton Parish church of All Saints, Church Street (1558-1837) (Holdings at Society
Edmonton, earlier recorded as Adelmeton and later as Edelmeton is village which straggles for nearly two miles along the road to Ware from Tottenham and Enfield, the Tottenham part being called Upper Edmonton, the Enfield end Lower Edmonton; Stations on the Great Eastern Railway, Angel Road and Church Street, on the Hertford or Low Level, and at Silver Street and Church Street on the High Level branches, serve both districts. The village is built along a slightly raised crest, having the River Lea on one side and the New River on the other: the higher ground on the west arable, the lower, by the Lea, marsh land. Of old, Edmonton was noted for its market gardens, and they are still extensive, potatoes being very largely grown. There are also nurseries and farms, as well as several factories; but with the development of the railway facilities Edmonton is assuming more and more the aspect of a suburban village. The history of the place is little more than the history of the several manors, to relate which would be tedious and unprofitable. The inhabitants of Edmonton had right of common upon Enfield Chase, and when the Chase was divided, in 1777, a tract of 1231 acres was allotted to the parish.
The church, All Saints, is situated in Church Street, Lower Edmonton, a turning on the left of the London road by the 7 mile stone, and the High and Low Level railway stations leading to Winchmore Hill. It is a large building, chiefly of the Perpendicular period, but was cased with brick and altered throughout, with the exception of the tower, in 1772. In 1886, however, the interior was carefully restored, new perpendicular windows inserted in the chancel, and a south aisle added to it. The tower is of flint and stone; Perpendicular square with an angle turret at the south-east and battlemented, and has a peal of eight bells.
|Other churches:||Christ Church, Southgate
Holy Trinity, Winchmore Hill
St Alphege, Hertford Road
St James, Fore Street
St Martin, Town Road
St Mary the Virgin Mission Church, Tottenham Road
|St Michael, Brunswick Park
At Michael at Bowes,Whittington Road
St Paul, New Southgate
St Peter, Bounces Road
St Peter's Mission Church, Bounds Green
Weld Chapel, Southgate
Christ Church Southgate