London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

East Barnet Parish church of St Mary (1553)

St Mary the Virgin, East barnet 780

St Mary East Barnet 780 East Barnet is a pleasant village 10 miles north from London and 2 miles south-east of Barnet. It is called East Barnet to distinguish it from Chipping Barnet and Friern Barnet immediately adjoining. Since the Conquest, East Barnet has been part of the manor of Chipping Barnet. The church, St Mary the Virgin, consists of a nave, built by an Abbot of St albans early in the 12th century; a chancel built in 1663 by Sir Robert Bartlet, and a modern brick tower at the west end; to which was added in 1868 a south aisle of Kentish rag with Bathstone dressings, and at the same time the interior was restored and refitted.
The scenery around East Barnet is pleasing, but the place has lost somewhat of its rural quite since the opening of the railway. Between the village of East Barnet and the station many small houses have been built. By the church is Church Farm, "The Country House," Industrial Schools for about 100 destitute boys, between the ages of 6 and 13, not convicted of crime. The farm of 50 acres is cultivated by the boys. Oak Hill Park, east of the village, is a fine mansion standing on an eminence and commanding extensive views. Belmont on the north of it, was formally called Mount Pleasant, and was the residence of Elias Ashmole, founder of the Ashmolian Museum.

St Mary 2 East Barnet 780


East Barnet Methodist Church


East Barnet Methodist Church